The Legal Aid Society, the nation’s oldest and largest social justice legal services organization, has immediate openings for dedicated, passionate Experienced Criminal Defense Attorneys in the Criminal Defense Practice throughout the city. The Criminal Practice is the primary public defender in New York City, providing holistic, client-centered representation to over 200,000 people facing misdemeanor, felony, and homicide charges.
The Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney will provide zealous advocacy in all phases of a person’s legal matter from arraignments through hearings and trials, as well as other related proceedings, such as school suspension, DMV refusal, and asset forfeiture hearings. The Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney collaborates with attorneys and advocates in the Civil and Juvenile Rights Practices to avoid or mitigate any civil consequences arising from a client’s contact with the criminal system. The Criminal Defense Attorney also works with a team of investigators, social workers, and paralegals to provide clients the comprehensive, high-quality representation they deserve.
* Other duties as assigned
Candidates MUST HAVE:
* 5-20 years’ demonstrated commitment to public defense, social justice, and racial justice;
* New York State bar admission (or ability to waive into New York State from another jurisdiction);
* Experience as a first chair in felony hearings and trials;
* Knowledge of felony sentencing;
* Experience with direct and cross examination of expert witnesses; and
* Knowledge of relevant New York State laws including evidence laws, criminal and constitutional laws, statutory interpretation, and ethical principles contained in the Rules of Professional Conduct.
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer — Women, People of Color, Gays and Lesbians, Transgender People, Veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org opens an email client application.