On behalf of the Government of Canada, which introduced new procedures for Governor in Council appointments worldwide in 2017, the Consulate General in Miami invites interested parties to apply for the position of Honorary Consul in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Title: Honorary Consul
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico
Honorarium*: $ 20,000 USD per year (*an honorarium is an ex gratia payment made to a person in recognition of his or her services)
Process no: 2018-MIAMI-01
Date posted: January 22, 2018
Closing date: February 22, 2018
Position tenure: Honorary consul appointments by Order in Council are valid for a period of three years. The term for the current Honorary consul will be ending in June 2018.
Summary of duties
These functions may include:
• consular assistance for Canadians
• development of commercial and economic relations
• advocacy on behalf of Canadian interests and priorities
• on occasion as required, providing political/economic reports
• passport and notarial services
• support during an emergency event (hurricane, etc)
• support the Consulate General of Canada in Miami in maintaining bilateral relations
• a local point of contact and resource for the Consulate
• administrative and logistical support for official visits
• representation at diplomatic, ceremonial, and public affairs events
To be considered for this process, please provide examples that clearly demonstrate how you meet the following requirements in your application.
- Be residing within 25 miles of San Juan, Puerto Rico most of the year (8+ months a year).
- Have a valid independent work authorization in Puerto Rico.
- Proficiency in speaking and writing in English
- Demonstrate a tangible connection to Canada:
- be a Canadian citizen with strong ties to Canada and/or if you are not a Canadian citizen you must have one or more of the following ties:
- are employed by a Canadian company
- were educated in Canada
- have family ties with Canada
- demonstrate some professional affiliation with Canada (ex., commercial ties)
Education and Experience
- A degree from a recognized university, or an acceptable combination of equivalent education, job related training and/or experience
- Experience in decision-making with respect to sensitive and complex issues
- Experience dealing with different levels of government
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- In-depth understanding of political, economic and social dynamics in Puerto Rico
- Well-connected and having a good standing in/with the local community
- Ability to be service-oriented
- High ethical standards and integrity
- Sound judgment
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in French, the other Canadian official language
- Proficiency in Spanish.
- Independent means and availability of a suitable location (e.g. office) where consular clients can access service during regular business hours (e.g. Monday to Friday)
- Special consideration may be given to increasing the overall gender parity in our US network of Honorary Consuls.
- Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check.
- You must comply with the Ethical and Political Activity Guidelines for Public Office Holders throughout your appointment, as a term and condition. The guidelines are available on the Governor in Council Appointments website, under Forms and reference material.
- You will be subject to the Conflict of Interest Act. For more information, please visit the Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner’s website.
Consideration will not be given to candidates who:
- occupy any governmental position in their state of residence and/or
- may be unable to deliver the program due to other commitments
- are politically active
- may have a real, apparent or potential conflict of interest
The selection process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the essential requirements. Please note that failure to meet any of the Essential Requirements eliminates candidates from further consideration in this process. Only those applicants who meet these will be contacted by the selection committee for an interview or other form of assessment of the essential requirements.
The assessment may include an interview, reference checks and other tests that will consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant’s knowledge, abilities, and personal suitability for the position.
How to apply
Apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and submit a resume and cover letter indicating the selection process number and how they meet all the essential requirements, no later than February 22nd, 2018.