Everytown for Gun Safety, the largest gun violence prevention advocacy group in the country, is seeking a talented, creative and ambitious attorney for a public interest litigation opportunity to work as Appellate Counsel on Everytown’s Litigation Team, focusing on Second Amendment litigation. The Litigation Team defends common-sense gun laws against Second Amendment challenges in federal and state courts across the country, at both the appellate and trial court levels, principally through the filing of amicus briefs and by supporting state and local government lawyers involved in defending such laws. The team also fosters independent and rigorous Second Amendment scholarship and historical research. You can read some of our work here. The Litigation Team also develops and implements affirmative litigation strategies to take on dangerous gun laws that conflict with other constitutional and statutory rights, enforce gun violence prevention laws that are not being implemented, and challenge the gun industry’s dangerous business and related practices.
We are looking for lawyers who want to use their litigation skills and public-spirited ambitions to make a difference and join the fight to save lives. Working out of the New York or Washington D.C. offices with the Director of Litigation and National Enforcement Policy and the Litigation Team, the Appellate Counsel will be responsible for:
- Legal and related research, analysis, strategy development, and writing in connection with the full range of Second Amendment cases being litigated around the country.
- Development, drafting and editing of amicus briefs in United States Supreme Court and federal and state appellate and trial courts.
- Tracking and analyzing Second Amendment challenges to gun safety laws in federal and state courts.
- Working on law review articles and op/eds and assisting in the development of Second Amendment scholarship.
- Coordinate closely with other Everytown departments to keep them apprised of the Litigation Team’s priorities and strategize about amicus brief filings and other questions relevant to the work of the Litigation department.
- J.D. and membership in a state bar
- Three or more years litigation experience, including substantial brief-writing experience
- Appellate litigation experience (including a clerkship) strongly preferred
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills and outstanding attention to detail, including an ability to explain complex legal and historical concepts to both legal and non-legal audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively collaborate with other lawyers
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-moving environment and deliver timely and high-quality work
- Strong work ethic, sense of humor, flexibility, creativity, and a professional demeanor
- Ability to work in a sometimes-hectic, open plan office
Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success.
How to Apply
Please attach a thoughtful cover letter and resume using this link: https://everytown.org/job/?gh_jid=922822 . Please label your materials with your full name. If you receive an error message, you may email your labeled materials to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the job is filled.
Everytown for Gun Safety provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.