Brooklyn Legal Services Corporation A (Brooklyn A) seeks an attorney with at least 2 years practice experience to join its Individual Representation Unit of the Preserving Affordable Housing Program.
Since 1968, Brooklyn A has provided free legal services for low income residents and organizations of Brooklyn, pursuing a neighborhood based mission of justice, empowerment and community development.
The staff attorney will join Brooklyn A’s Preserving Affordable Housing team. The work involves representing individuals and families facing eviction in court and before administrative agencies with advocacy based on legal research, drafting documents, pleadings, motions, and briefs with knowledge of legal procedures to effectively counsel clients and insure the best possible outcome in each case. Staff Attorneys will handle a full caseload of full representation non-payment and holdover proceedings in Housing Court, which involves frequent motion practice, discovery and depositions, communication with clients, negotiations with opposing counsel and advocacy with outside agencies on behalf of clients.
Candidates must have relevant interest, experience, skills and commitment. Spanish language ability is extremely useful.
Applicants must have the following qualifications:
• Admission to the bar of the State of New York or eligible for admission
• Have at least 2 years’ experience working in housing court or other relevant litigation
• Have excellent legal writing, litigation and advocacy skills
• Have excellent interpersonal skills
• Effective communication skills, including the ability to work with people in desperate crisis
• Ability to work independently with strong motivation, to manage a high case load, to meet
deadlines, and to be flexible
• Computer proficiency sufficient to independently review and generate materials relevant to
the position as well as track client information in our database, prepare reports for grantors, attend meetings, and perform administrative tasks related to the work, such as timekeeping and case notes.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with individuals from diverse backgrounds and local organizations.
Applicants possessing the following qualifications will be viewed favorably:
• Language proficiency relevant to our clients, especially Spanish
• Commitment to cultural competence demonstrated through present or past residence in our
• Demonstrated ability to publish articles effectively advocating on behalf of clients and
• Experience in housing law practice
Brooklyn A is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
Salary will be commensurate with experience; good health and other benefits will be provided.
To apply, forward a cover letter with your resume to:
Human Resources Department
Brooklyn Legal Services Corporation A
Put ‘Individual Rep Staff Attorney’ in the subject line