Everytown for Gun Safety, the largest gun violence prevention advocacy group in the country, is seeking two (2) talented, creative, and ambitious litigators to work as Counsel on Everytown’s new Litigation Team, focusing on affirmative litigation. The Litigation Team develops and implements affirmative litigation strategies to take on dangerous gun laws that conflict with other constitutional and statutory rights, enforce gun violence prevention laws that are not being implemented, and challenge the gun industry’s dangerous business practices. The team also defends common-sense gun laws against Second Amendment challenges in federal and state courts and fosters independent and rigorous Second Amendment scholarship. You can read some of our past work here.
We are looking for lawyers who want to use their litigation skills and public-spirited ambitions to make a difference and join the fight to save lives. Working out of the New York office with the Director of Litigation and National Enforcement Policy and the Litigation Team, the Counsel will be responsible for:
- Working with the team to develop and implement Everytown’s national affirmative federal and state court litigation practice, including research and analysis, strategy development, complaint drafting, trial court and appellate brief writing, participating in all other aspects of litigation, and working with pro bono counsel.
- Litigating cases in conjunction with national or local firms, including work on complaints, discovery, motion practice, arguments, hearings and potentially trials.
- Working on law review articles and op/eds and other legal and social science scholarship.
- Working on surveys and reports of state laws and legal decisions concerning issues related to guns.
- Coordinate closely with other Everytown departments to keep them apprised of the Litigation Team’s priorities and strategize about lawsuit and amicus brief filings and other strategic questions relevant to the work of the Litigation department.
- J.D. and membership in a state bar
- Clerkship, government or affirmative litigation experience highly desirable
- Five or more years relevant litigation experience preferred. However we will consider highly-qualified applicants with less experience.
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills and outstanding attention to detail, including an ability to explain complex legal and historical concepts to both legal and non-legal audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively collaborate with other lawyers
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-moving environment and deliver timely and high-quality work
- Strong work ethic, sense of humor, flexibility, creativity, and a professional demeanor
- Ability to work in a sometimes-hectic, open plan office
Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success.
How to Apply
Please attach a thoughtful cover letter and resume using the following link:https://everytown.org/job/?gh_jid=922819 . Please label your materials with your full name. If you receive an error message, you may email your labeled materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the job is filled.
Everytown for Gun Safety provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.