The New York State Office of the Attorney General is seeking an attorney to join its Antitrust Bureau in New York City as an Assistant Attorney General (AAG). The Antitrust Bureau’s mission is to enforce federal and state antitrust laws on behalf of New York and its citizens, to promote and protect the competitive process and New York economy.
The Antitrust Bureau is engaged in the full range of antitrust issues, including price-fixing, bid-rigging, horizontal and vertical restraints, monopolization and mergers. The Antitrust Bureau works closely with other state antitrust enforcers on matters of regional or national impact, and with the United States Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission.
The Antitrust Bureau is comprised of twelve (12) AAGs, a Bureau Chief and Deputy Bureau Chief. AAGs participate in all phases of antitrust investigations and litigation. Primary responsibilities include:
- Drafting subpoenas and information requests to gather evidence;
- Interviewing potential witnesses and targets and taking testimony;
- Reviewing documentary and economic evidence and formulating potential legal theories;
- All aspects of electronic discovery;
- Working with economists and other expert witnesses;
- Drafting pleadings, motions, briefs and other court documents;
- Arguing motions and participating in trials; and
- Negotiating settlements where appropriate.
The applicant must have a background in antitrust, complex litigation and investigations, and must be a self-starter and team player. The following background and skills are strongly preferred:
- Plaintiff-side antitrust experience;
- Significant deposition experience;
- A degree in economics and/or strong business and financial literacy;
- Experience with e-discovery technology and process;
- Exceptional writing, analytic, and communication skills; and
- Proficiency with MS Excel and PowerPoint.
Attorneys in the Office must have at least two (2) years of legal experience, and be admitted to practice in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that attorneys in the Office be citizens of the United States and reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State. A two (2) year commitment is required as a condition of employment.
How To Apply
Applications are being received online. To apply, please click on this link: ANT_NYC_AAG_3114; applicants will be taken to the online application page for this position.
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
- Cover Letter (You may address to Sandra Jefferson Grannum, Esq., Bureau Chief, Legal Recruitment);
- List of three (3) references with contact information and email addresses
- Law school transcript if less than five (5) years post-graduate (unofficial is acceptable)
- Writing Sample
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or you need assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment Bureau via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information on our Office, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov.