The Charities Bureau of the New York State Attorney General’s Office is seeking a litigation attorney for a staff attorney position in the Trusts & Estates section of its New York City office. The Charities Bureau is a national leader in the oversight of not-for-profit organizations and represents the interests of charitable beneficiaries and New York State in a wide range of matters.
- Representing the interests of charitable beneficiaries in Surrogate’s Court and Supreme Court proceedings involving trusts and estates with charitable interests;
- Representing the interests of the State in proceedings involving estates administered by the Public Administrator and other estates with unknown beneficiaries, including kinship hearings and withdrawal proceedings in Surrogate’s Court and Supreme Court;
- Reviewing fiduciary accountings; and
- Assisting with legislative and public education initiatives.
We are seeking candidates with two (2) to three (3) years of civil litigation experience and knowledge of trusts and estates law. Candidates should also be familiar with Surrogate’s Court and Supreme Court practice and procedure.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that attorneys in the OAG be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
How To Apply
Applicants may apply online. To apply, please click on this link: CHAR_AAG_NYC_3119; applicants will be directed to the online application page for this position.
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
- Cover Letter (You may address to Sandra Jefferson Grannum, Esq., Bureau Chief, Legal Recruitment)
- List of three (3) references with contact information and email addresses
- Writing Sample
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or you need assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment Bureau via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov