Empire Justice Center, a highly respected, statewide nonprofit law firm, is seeking an Immigrant Rights Paralegal to join their team. This is an opportunity to join one of the most effective organizations serving low income individuals and families in New York State.
Empire Justice Center attracts and employs dedicated, determined and passionate advocates who, together, make a significant impact on the lives of low income New Yorkers. They achieve their successes through direct legal representation and high impact litigation, legislative and administrative advocacy, and by providing training and technical assistance to other advocates who are working towards the same goals.
Their organization offers staff an exciting and dynamic working environment and a strong commitment to teamwork, diversity, and personal/professional development.
The Immigrant Rights Paralegal is a critical member of the Immigration practice group who will be working on the Liberty Defense Project, a position funded position by New York State. The primary function of the Immigrant Rights Paralegal is to assist and support the Immigration Attorney/Project Manager in administrative oversight of the project and in all aspects of direct representation in immigration law matters to mostly Spanish speaking immigrants in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.
Primary responsibilities will include:
• Intake and client support
• Case support and document/data management
• Administrative tasks associated with the Immigration Attorney’s responsibilities
• Scheduling and follow up of client and related meetings
• Spanish/English interpretation as needed
• Provide direct representation, under attorney supervision, in immigrationtransactional matters
Candidates for this position will possess:
• Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) accreditation, or willingness to pursue BIAaccreditation desired
• Ability to speak and understand Spanish fluently is required
• Ability to produce high quality written material, meet tight deadlines, and to workboth independently and as part of a team
• Strong analytical and writing skills
• Experience in interviewing and counseling clients desired
• A Bachelor’s Degree with at least two (2) years of direct client experience orAssociates Degree with no less than three (3) years of direct client experience
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience and based on the organization’s salary scale.
Empire Justice Center offers a generous benefits package, including health insurance, pension and life insurance, vacation, holiday, personal and sick time. They are an organization that supports and encourages a work/life balance.
Empire Justice Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and desires a diverse work force. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, persons who are elderly, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
Applications will be accepted until 5/25/2018. If interested e-mail a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three professional references to:
Human Resources Manager
No phone calls or hard copies please. Incomplete applications will not be considered.