IT Development Support Position
About Pro Bono Net
The need for legal services among the poor is overwhelming. According to an American Bar Association study, at least 40% of low and moderate-income households experience a legal problem each year. Yet studies show that the collective civil legal aid effort is meeting only about 20% of the legal needs of low-income people. Pro Bono Net is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing access to justice through innovative uses of technology and increased volunteer lawyer participation. We are based in New York City and San Francisco and we work in close partnership with nonprofit legal organizations across the United States and Canada, to increase access to justice for the millions of poor people who face legal problems every year without help from a lawyer.
We do this by
(i) supporting the innovative and effective use of technology by the nonprofit legal sector,
(ii) increasing participation by volunteers, and
(iii) facilitating collaborations among nonprofit legal organizations and advocates working on similar issues or in the same region.
The candidate will be supporting the IT department with its projects to develop and maintain various web sites and web-based application systems (.NET/SQL Svr). Tasks include but are not limited to: application/web site testing, basic code writing, installation and support, documentation and database reporting/querying.
We are looking for a general technician in IT with a good background understanding of major technologies related to web development, but most importantly, someone who is very motivated to learn a wide range of tools and techniques and can proactively seek out the information and tools needed to accomplish tasks without too much hand-holding.
This is a junior, full-time position with salary commensurate with experience.
Majority of needed skills will be trained on-the-job. However, the candidate is expected to have:
1) A college degree, majoring in computer science or the sciences that required the use of IT technologies
2) A minimum of 1 year full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position.
3) A working knowledge of web technologies (DHTML, Internet protocols, browsers, ASP.NET)
4) A working knowledge of database technologies (tables, fields, queries, etc)
5) Skilled in the use of Office products: Word processor (e.g. Word), Spreadsheet (e.g. Excel), Presentation (e.g. Powerpoint)
6) Strong communicator (English) – written and spoken
Desirable but not required qualifications include:
2) Experience in database/reporting development using SQL Server and Excel (Views/Queries, Stored Procs, Functions, SSRS, Excel)
3) Knowledge of application development life cycle using both waterfall and agile approaches (Scrum, Jira)
4) Knowledge of the following tools: Slack, Lucidcharts, SSRS, Google Docs, Github, Trello
5) Knowledge of foreign languages
6) Legal knowledge, especially immigration related
Interested candidates should send an email with cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.