Lambda Legal seeks a Major Gifts Officer (MGO) to join their Development Department. Based in either New York City or Atlanta, this position is primarily responsible for acquiring, cultivating, and soliciting assigned individual donors and prospects with potential to give $1500 or more annually, with heightened focus on individual giving and upgrading donors to Major Donor levels ($5000+).
The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) will work to expand Lambda Legal’s Leadership ($1500+) Donor Program and volunteer activities in their assigned area/market. The MGO is also responsible for managing relationships, communications, and individual giving plans with leadership donors and managing volunteer leadership committees in their assigned markets.
About Lambda Legal
Lambda Legal is a national, nonprofit organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and those with HIV through impact litigation, education, and public policy work. Founded in 1973 and headquartered in New York City, Lambda Legal has regional offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta and Dallas.
- The MGO will manage Leadership Donor fundraising programs in assigned markets, including acquiring, cultivating, and soliciting donors and prospects with potential to give $1500 or more annually, with heightened focus on individual giving and upgrading donors to Major Donor levels ($5000+). This includes face-to-face meetings and interaction with donors including direct solicitations and managing cultivation events/touch points including house parties.
- If based in New York, the MGO will have some travel requirements. The MGO also will work to increase planned giving in the areas covered and is responsible for increasing Leadership Donor revenue in each assigned market and for overall portfolio. The MGO works as a team with other staff under the leadership of the Senior Major Gifts Officer in NYC to plan and execute a wide variety of development relationships and activities.
- The MGO will serve as the “point person” for individual donors and prospects, local corporate and law firm event sponsors, and volunteer fundraising committees in their assigned markets areas; and other markets and Leadership Donors nationally, as assigned.
- The MGO will work with Lambda Legal staff, Board, and National Leadership Council (NLC) members and other volunteers to execute fundraising and cultivation events in assigned markets and additional ones, as determined. The MGO will also manage volunteer leadership committees and Leadership Donor fundraising plans, including identifying and securing event sponsorships (individual and firm/corporate), in assigned markets and others, as determined.
- The MGO will support and manage annual solicitation of donors in assigned portfolio by Chief Executive Officer, Board, NLC members, other key volunteers, and other Lambda Legal staff. This includes identifying and securing major donor prospect meetings for senior staff and organizational leadership. The MGO will acknowledge contributions and coordinate annual report recognition for gifts received from donors in assigned portfolio and work with national staff to coordinate input into grant proposals for local foundations and prospective foundation grantors.
- Additional duties as assigned.
A candidate must be able to work in an autonomous environment and be self-directed and self-motivated. A qualified individual will have at least three years development experience; it is helpful to have some experience with direct work in fundraising events and with individual donors in the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of annual gifts. Experience working closely with Board and key volunteers and knowledge of LGBT and/or philanthropic communities in assigned areas is required. Experience coordinating fundraising events required. Some travel is required for this position. Outstanding written communication, analytical, interpersonal, personal organizational skills and administrative skills are required. Skills in internet research, Microsoft Office, spreadsheets and donor software (preferably Raiser’s Edge) are necessary.
Salary is commensurate with experience in the context of a mid-size non-profit advocacy organization. Excellent employer-paid benefits package is provided including medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance and generous employer contribution to retirement account. Generous vacation.
The position is open until filled; interviews will begin immediately with qualified candidates. Send resume and cover letter, writing sample, and any samples of relevant prior work, by e-mail only to: email@example.com
No calls please. Due to the high volume of applications, Lambda Legal cannot return phone calls about the position and, regrettably, cannot notify applicants of the status of applications unless an interview is requested.
Lambda Legal is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, transgender and gender-nonconforming people, people with abilities in multiple languages, immigrants, and people with disabilities, including people living HIV, are encouraged to apply.