Lambda Legal is seeking a talented, aggressive and creative Public Information Officer to join the communications team and drive media coverage of critical LGBT issues in the news. The Public Information Officer will coordinate news media activities for the organization and reports to the Media Relations Director. The goals of media and communications work at Lambda Legal are to educate the public on matters of equality as well as to position the organization as a national leader of legal, education and public policy advocacy on behalf of equality for LGBT people and people with HIV.
The Communications Department leads the media, digital communications and marketing efforts of the organization and coordinates with the Legal Department in carrying out our public affairs work. We work to influence the national debate, create public support for Lambda Legal’s impact litigation and for laws that lead to equality for LGBT people and people living with HIV, and increase support for the organization by communicating Lambda Legal’s ideas and achievements to a broad range of audiences.
The Public Information Officer is responsible for extensive contact with journalists, frequent interaction with Lambda Legal attorneys in our New York office and in the organization’s offices around the country. A central focus of this work is to establish Lambda Legal as a go-to source for legal information and vision related to the LGBT and HIV communities as well as to write and place news stories about fast-breaking developments involving Lambda Legal’s legal and educational activities. The Public Information Officer will also be responsible for maintaining and updating Lambda Legal’s key targeted media lists.
Public Information Officers are also responsible for writing and placing op-eds, cultivating reporter relationships, earning significant long-lead and broadcast coverage of Lambda’s work, and coordinating closely with the organization’s digital team when news breaks. Public Information Officers are typically assigned a region of focus and a portfolio of work but could work on any urgent or priority issues at the organization.
The Public Information Officer must have:
- Minimum of four to six years of experience demonstrating increasing responsibility in creating effective messages for breaking news, cultivating relationships with journalists, and proactively securing media coverage;
- Strong pitching skills required, particularly with broadcast outlets;
- Must have excellent writing skills, with the ability to translate complex legal material into concise, accurate, and compelling language for the general public including op-eds, talking points, blog posts and essays;
- Experience conducting media training for organizational spokespeople and clients;
- Knowledge of LGBT civil rights advocacy as well as demonstrated understanding of messaging and communications for a mission-driven organization;
- Experience and fluency with digital communications tools including social media platforms;
- Experience in identifying and effectively communicating with diverse audiences;
- Excellent planning and project management skills to help lead and support a talented team of professionals;
- Spanish language proficiency a plus.
Salary is commensurate with experience in the context of a mid-size non-profit advocacy organization. Excellent employer-paid benefits package is provided including medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance and generous employer contribution to retirement account. Generous vacation.
About Lambda Legal
Lambda Legal is a national, nonprofit organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and those with HIV through impact litigation, education, and public policy work. Founded in 1973 and headquartered in New York City, Lambda Legal has regional offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta and Dallas.
The position is open until filled; interviews will begin immediately with qualified candidates. Send resume and cover letter, writing sample, and any samples of relevant prior work, by e-mail only to: email@example.com
No calls please. Due to the high volume of applications, Lambda Legal cannot return phone calls about the position and, regrettably, cannot notify applicants of the status of applications unless an interview is requested.
Lambda Legal is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people of all gender identities and gender expressions, and people with disabilities, including HIV, are encouraged to apply.