Founded in 1990, the New York Legal Assistance Group provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers. The organization serves immigrants, seniors, the homebound, families facing foreclosure, renters facing eviction, low-income consumers, those in need of government assistance, children in need of special education, domestic violence victims, persons with disabilities, patients with chronic illness or disease, low-wage workers, low-income members of the LGBTQ community, Holocaust survivors, and others in need. The organization’s annual operating budget is over $27 million. Serving more than 75,000 New Yorkers annually, New York Legal Assistance Group maintains a paid staff of approximately 280, supported by 2,200 pro bono attorneys and other volunteers and interns. For more information, applicants are encouraged to visit www.nylag.org.
The New York Legal Assistance Group uses the power of the law to help New Yorkers in need combat social and economic injustice. We address emerging and urgent legal needs with comprehensive, free civil legal services, impact litigation, policy advocacy, and community education.
Values that guide us
- We reduce the effects of poverty by providing high quality, effective civil legal services.
- We partner with our clients to help them transform their lives and strengthen their communities.
- We address our clients’ multiple legal needs by collaborating across our practice areas.
- We are at the forefront of identifying and understanding New Yorkers’ most pressing legal needs, rapidly adapting to meet these needs with innovative programs and partnerships.
- We assess need broadly, recognizing that need is not a function of income alone.
- We collaborate with community organizations and engage pro bono attorneys and volunteers to serve a greater number of people with unmet civil legal needs.
- We achieve systemic change through class actions, impact litigation and by advocating for just laws and policies.
- We work to create a welcoming and inclusive work environment that reflects the communities we serve.
- We teach and train the next generation of legal service professionals.
LegalHealth, a division of the New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG), is seeking a staff attorney with demonstrated commitment to public interest law and an interest in working with people with health issues. LegalHealth partners with medical professionals in 32 hospitals in New York City to address the non-medical needs of low-income people with serious health problems. LegalHealth complements health care with legal care – providing free legal services on site in medical facilities as well as training healthcare professionals to understand the legal issues their patients may encounter.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The attorney will be responsible for providing legal services in a wide range of issues including: benefits, housing, employment, immigration, and advance planning. The attorney will also be responsible for some training of medical staff to foster better communication and stronger relationships.
LegalHealth seeks a highly committed attorney who has two to three years of prior and relevant experience, preferably working in healthcare or with vulnerable populations, is admitted to practice law in New York, has excellent communication skills, and has strong research and writing skills. Moreover it is critically important that this person has the ability to both empathize with the clients’ challenges and help to problem solve.
Must be admitted to the practice of law in the State of New York.
NYLAG’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
NYLAG is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, veterans, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people, and those with lived experiences in the communities we serve are strongly encouraged to apply.
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Please click on the link to apply: