Muslim Advocates (MA), a national legal advocacy and educational organization, seeks applications from highly talented and motivated attorneys wishing to join our dynamic and growing legal team as a staff attorney. The position will be based in our Washington, DC office.
Muslim Advocates has been fighting to promote freedom, justice, and equality for Americans of all faiths since 2005. In addition to conducting legal advocacy, policy engagement, and civic education, MA utilizes targeted litigation in order to protect and defend the rights of American Muslims. Our work includes projects aimed at addressing discriminatory surveillance programs, hate crimes, and border search issues; we are also directly engaged in challenging the unconstitutional Muslim travel ban. In addition, MA continues to serve as a legal resource aimed at educating American Muslims about the law and their rights as well as promoting their full and meaningful participation in American public life.
The staff attorney will be involved in litigating cases on these and other issues in pursuit of MA’s mission and priorities. The staff attorney will also actively engage in MA’s broader legal advocacy efforts, a number of which are outlined below. The staff attorney will work with a team of experienced attorneys led by our legal director.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work on all phases and aspects of MA litigation, including case development, client and witness interviews, pleadings, discovery, depositions, motions, trials, appeals, and settlements.
- Use state and federal freedom of information laws to collect information about government programs and practices affecting the civil rights of American Muslims.
- Monitor legal developments and policies that impact the civil rights of American Muslims.
- Collaborate with outside counsel and other legal advocacy organizations on issues affecting American Muslims and on broader social justice issues in the United States.
- Create non-legal advocacy materials in support of education and outreach efforts.
- Speak and otherwise represent Muslim Advocates at community and professional events.
- Other projects related to MA’s legal, policy, and civic education work as they arise.
- J.D. from an accredited university; 2-3 years professional experience preferred.
- Admission in good standing to the bar of any state and/or the District of Columbia.
- Litigation experience in state or federal court preferred.
- Outstanding legal research and writing skills.
- Excellent oral advocacy and communication skills.
- Ability and desire to work cooperatively with coalition partners and diverse constituencies.
- Strong organizational and time management skills; proven ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated commitment to civil rights and public interest law.
- Willingness to travel as work requires.
Compensation & Benefits
Muslim Advocates offers a generous and competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Muslim Advocates is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates should apply by sending the following materials by email to email@example.com, including “Staff Attorney” in the subject line: (1) a cover letter specifying the candidate’s interest in working with Muslim Advocates as well as their skills and relevant experience; (2) a resume; (3) a list of three references; and (4) a legal writing sample.
Interested candidates are strongly encouraged to submit completed applications by September 22, 2017, although applications will be considered on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled.
For more information about Muslim Advocates, visit: www.muslimadvocates.org.