Civil Practice Attorney-in-Charge, Harlem Community Law Office
Apr 27, 2017
Manhattan – Civil Practice Harlem Community Law Offices
The Legal Aid Society is seeking an experienced and talented lawyer with a deep commitment to public interest practice and policy to join a dedicated team of managers, staff attorneys, social workers, supervisors, paralegal case handlers, and support personnel as the Attorney-in-Charge of the Civil Practice’s Harlem Community Law Office.
The Attorney-in-Charge (AIC) is responsible for the overall administration and oversight of approximately 70 staff and may be responsible for the supervision of one of the practice units located in Harlem. The AIC participates in Practice-wide and Society-wide management discussions and decision-making and is responsible for maintaining relationships with other stakeholders in the legal, court, and service communities.
* Together with the Civil Practice Attorney-in-Charge, provide legal and managerial leadership for the Civil Practice in Manhattan
* Responsible for overall office management and operations
* Supervise, mentor, train, and encourage professional development of staff attorneys, paralegals, social workers, and support staff
* Monitor and maintain a high standard of representation and client service
* Maintain reasonable individual caseload
* Develop impact and/or affirmative litigation
* Assist with the development, funding, implementation, and reporting of programs
* Coordinate intakes
* Provide oversight of pro bono initiatives within the office
* Respond to client, community, and staff concerns
* Foster and encourage teamwork and communication
* Reinforce and maintain staff accountability
* Develop and maintain community support and relationships with community-based organizations, advocates, government agencies, elected officials, and courts
* Represent the Civil Practice and Legal Aid in the community
* Facilitate and conduct community education, training, and outreach, and promote the work of the office and the Civil Practice
* Other duties as assigned
* Admission to the NYS Bar
* Minimum of six to eight years legal practice preferred
* Demonstrated commitment to addressing fundamental issues of poverty and justice within a comprehensive civil legal services model of representation and an interest in creative approaches to management and staff development
* Experience litigating in various legal forums, including State and Federal courts
* Knowledge in various practice areas within civil legal services preferred
* Excellent litigation, oral, and written advocacy skills
* Demonstrated commitment to and experience in public interest law
* Demonstrated leadership ability
* Experience supervising and mentoring others with diverse backgrounds, experience levels, and work styles
* Ability to give and receive constructive feedback
* Supervisory and management experience preferred
* Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
* Commitment to exploring creative and alternative approaches for legal practice
* Commitment to working in collaborative team models
* Pro bono, government, public service, and academic experience is desirable, but not required
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis so applicants are encouraged to apply early.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer — Women, People of Color, Gays and Lesbians, Transgender People, Veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
If you have any questions about this posting email email@example.com.
Apply here: https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?c=1143211&d=ExternalCareerSite&r=5000207389506