Civil Practice Staff Attorney-ILU NYIFUP
Aug 23, 2017
Manhattan – Legal Aid Society Headquarters
As part of an initiative called the New York Immigrant Family Unity Project (NYIFUP), The Legal Aid Society’s Civil Practice is seeking Staff Attorneys to join its city-wide Immigration Law Unit Detention Project. The Staff attorneys must have a deep commitment to public interest and immigration law. The Staff Attorneys will represent detained clients in removal and bond proceedings before the Varick Street Immigration Court, the Elizabeth Immigration Court, the Board of Immigration Appeals, and, when appropriate, in Family Court proceedings, and related proceedings before the USCIS. The Staff Attorney will also represent The Legal Aid Society’s NYIFUP clients who are released on bond and continue to meet income eligibility requirements.
* Represent detained noncitizens in removal proceedings in immigration courts, before the Board of Immigration Appeals and in Family Court proceedings
* Represent non-detained clients released on bond
* Provide individualized consultations to detained noncitizens at detention centers in upstate New York and in New Jersey. Travel may be required in the early morning, evenings, and weekends.
* Work with pro bono counsel on assigned pro bono cases
* Engage in affirmative litigation
* Other duties as assigned
* Admission to NYS bar, pending admission to the NY state bar, or admission to any other state bar with immediate ability to waive into the NY state bar
* Demonstrated commitment to representing low-income, disadvantaged clients
* Immigration law and trial experience preferred
* Excellent writing, analytical, and organizational skills
* Interest in developing new approaches to representing detained noncitizens
* Ability to work with pro bono lawyers
* Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team
* Ability to manage a high volume of cases
* Proficiency in languages other than English is desirable, but not required
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not PDF your application will not be processed. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis so applicants are encouraged to apply early.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer — Women, People of Color, Gays and Lesbians, Transgender People, Veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
If you have any questions about this posting email email@example.com.