Founded in 1990, the New York Legal Assistance Group provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers. The organization serves immigrants, seniors, the homebound, families facing foreclosure, renters facing eviction, low-income consumers, those in need of government assistance, children in need of special education, domestic violence victims, persons with disabilities, patients with chronic illness or disease, low-wage workers, low-income members of the LGBTQ community, Holocaust survivors, and others in need. The organization’s annual operating budget is over $27 million. Serving more than 75,000 New Yorkers annually, New York Legal Assistance Group maintains a paid staff of approximately 280, supported by 2,200 pro bono attorneys and other volunteers and interns. For more information, applicants are encouraged to visit www.nylag.org.
The New York Legal Assistance Group uses the power of the law to help New Yorkers in need combat social and economic injustice. We address emerging and urgent legal needs with comprehensive, free civil legal services, impact litigation, policy advocacy, and community education.
Values that guide us:
· We reduce the effects of poverty by providing high quality, effective civil legal services.
· We partner with our clients to help them transform their lives and strengthen their communities.
· We address our clients’ multiple legal needs by collaborating across our practice areas.
· We are at the forefront of identifying and understanding New Yorkers’ most pressing legal needs, rapidly adapting to meet these needs with innovative programs and partnerships.
· We assess need broadly, recognizing that need is not a function of income alone.
· We collaborate with community organizations and engage pro bono attorneys and volunteers to serve a greater number of people with unmet civil legal needs.
· We achieve systemic change through class actions, impact litigation and by advocating for just laws and policies.
· We work to create a welcoming and inclusive work environment that reflects the communities we serve.
· We teach and train the next generation of legal service professionals.
LegalHealth, a division of the New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG), is seeking a dynamic immigration attorney to oversee immigration legal services at partner hospitals. This is an exciting will provide on-site legal assistance to patients and community members, many of whom are coping with serious or chronic health conditions. The staff attorney will have the unique opportunity to train and build powerful relationships with healthcare staff, including doctors, social workers, psychologists that can provide critical assistance in immigration and health-related advocacy.
LegalHealth is a seeking a highly committed attorney with:
· Two to three years of post-admission immigration law experience in family-based immigration, adjustment of status, naturalization, U/T Visas, VAWA, TPS, and asylum;
· Demonstrated interest in working with low-income, disabled, and/or disadvantaged clients;
· Excellent communication, research, and writing skills;
· Admission to practice law in New York;
· Ability to speak a language other than English, especially Spanish, preferred but not required.
NYLAG’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
NYLAG does not countenance any form of discrimination of clients or employees based upon age, color, handicap or disability, ethnic or national origin, race, religion or religious creed, gender, marital or parental status, sexual orientation or veteran status.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Please click on the link to apply: