The NYC Law Department is now accepting applications from admitted attorneys for an Assistant Corporation Counsel to work in the Office of the Counsel to the Mayor to primarily manage the processing of requests under the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) and assure compliance with conflict of interest rules. The Office of the Counsel to the Mayor provides legal advice to the Mayor and City Hall staff and manages legal and other policy initiatives on inequality at the direction of the Mayor, including universal broadband access, green jobs and Fire Department diversity. Through work with others in the Office, City Hall staff and City agencies, the Assistant Corporation Counsel will further the administration’s commitment to effective government. Responsibilities of the Assistant Corporation Counsel in this position would include:
– Coordinating with City Hall staff concerning FOIL and document retention requests;
– Reviewing potentially responsive documents to FOIL requests, in some cases utilizing specialized document review software;
– Administering and further developing as necessary the Offices system for tracking FOIL requests;
– Producing weekly updates on FOIL processing;
– In coordination with other staff, ensuring effective communication with FOIL requestors;
– Educating City Hall staff and staff at other agencies about the requirements of FOIL;
– Assuring compliance with Chapter 68 of the Charter and the rules of the Conflict of Interest Board.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
– Admission to the New York State Bar;
– At least one year of relevant, full time, satisfactory legal experience;
– Comfort working in a fast-paced environment and managing multiple projects and assignments simultaneously;
– Excellent attention to detail;
– Exceptional organizational skills;
– Strong oral and written communication skills;
– Experience working as part of a team; and
– Commitment to public service.
– Familiarity with City conflict of interest rules;
– Knowledge of FOIL and experience processing requests;
– Experience with document review, including the use of specialized software;
– Experience developing and/or operating systems for managing complex administrative processes; and
– General familiarity with New York City government and related issues.
The deadline to apply is May 2, 2018.
Please click the following link to apply to Job ID 340052: https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/psc/nycjobs/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=340052&PostingSeq=1&&&. Please attach your cover letter and resume as one document under “resume” and a writing sample under “cover letter”.